Sweet almond oil is rich in nutrition and very hydrating. It is an excellent choice for supporting your beauty routine as well as your overall health.
Sweet almond oil can be used to treat dry skin issues, even out your skin tone, soften brittle hair, and it can be used to maintain healthy cholesterol levels when used as a nutritional supplement.
There are two types of almonds that are used to make almond oil: sweet and bitter almonds. It is important that you choose sweet almond oil for cosmetic and nutritional purposes because bitter almond oil contains cyanide.
While bitter almond oil can have some health and wellness uses, it is not a safe product that is readily available nor is it recommended for a vast array of home and personal care purposes.
In this article, we will give a little background regarding the origins and uses of sweet almond oil. We will show you how to use it as a skin lightener for dark eye circles and how to use it to reduce puffiness underneath the eyes. Read on to learn more.
Contents & Navigation
- The Origins Of Almond Oil
- 5 Benefits Of Almond Oil
- What Causes Dark Under-Eye Circles?
- How Does Almond Oil Work To Reduce Dark Circles?
- It’s Easy To Use Almond Oil For Dark Circles!
- 12 Beneficial Almond Oil Combinations
- #1 – Aloe And Sweet Almond Oil
- #2 – Honey And Sweet Almond Oil
- #3 – Sweet Almond Oil And Lemon Juice
- #4 – Sweet Almond Oil and Milk
- #5 – Sweet Almond Oil And Turmeric
- #6 – Sweet Almond Oil And Coconut Oil (Or Olive Oil)
- #7 – Sweet Almond Oil And Vitamin E Oil
- #8 – Sweet Almond Oil and Castor Oil
- #9 – Avocado and Almond Oil Mask
- #10 – Sweet Almond Oil and Night Jasmine Essential Oil
- #11 – Hot and Cold Treatment
- #12 – Eat Almonds!
- Is Sweet Almond Oil Safe?
The Origins Of Almond Oil
Almonds (Prunus dulcis or Amygdalus communis L.) originates from the Middle East and Southwest Asia. While they appear to be tree nuts, they are actually classified as a drupe, which is a type of fruit that has an outer casing that encases a shell and that shell encases a seed. The seed is the edible part of the fruit and the part from which almond oil is extracted. [source]
The almond tree has been grown as a domesticated crop for centuries. Early on (probably through some rather tragic trial and error) people were able to determine that there are two types of almonds:
- Sweet almonds which are highly beneficial.
- Bitter almonds can be deadly.
Today, all almonds grown and sold in the United States are sweet almonds. Bitter almond oil can be used as a powerful antispasmodic, antifungal and antibacterial agent; however, the cyanide must be extracted first. Furthermore, use of this product can only be carried out under a doctor’s consent and supervision.
Sweet almonds are grown on the west coast of the United States. An even higher quality of sweet almond, known as the Marcona almond, is grown in Spain. This variety of almond is plump and moist. It is an excellent choice for eating; however, in terms of quality of the oil produced there is little (if any) difference between American grown and Spanish grown almonds.
Purchase and try this Sweet Almond Oil Triple AAA+ Grade Quality Hexane Free For Hair For Skin and For Face from Amazon.
5 Benefits Of Almond Oil
Sweet almond oil has many uses for skin, hair, and health benefits. It is a mild, hypoallergenic product that is safe and nourishing for even the most delicate skin types. You can use it on delicate baby skin and you can use it on the thin layer of skin underneath your eyes. What are some other benefits of sweet almond oil? Continue reading to find out more:
#1 – Moisturizes
Sweet almond oil has a very light texture, so it absorbs easily into the skin. The oil works better when it is slightly warmed up in your hands. Adding nourishing essential oils such as chamomile, rose, or myrrh oils brings even greater benefits.
#2 – Protects And Repairs
Sweet almond oil is an excellent choice for protection from the harmful sunrays. Its antioxidant properties not only shield your skin from the sun’s rays, it also reverses wrinkles and other damage caused by exposure to the sun.
#3 – Lightens
The oil helps lighten and brighten skin tone in a couple of ways. For one thing, it is very good at dislodging dirt and dried oil that may be clogging pores and hair follicles.
#4 – Cleanses
When used as a component of oil cleansing, it helps to get your skin really clean. This improves tone and may also help with conditions such as acne.
#5 – Banish The Dark Circle Under Eye
It is an excellent oil to use when combating dark under-eye circles. You can use it alone as a bedtime under-eye moisturizer or combine it with other beneficial ingredients for even greater and more focused benefits.
What Causes Dark Under-Eye Circles?
When your skin becomes dry, it can cause the skin under your eyes to darken. The skin below your eyes is very thin and delicate. Because of this, it loses moisture easily, and the blood vessels underneath the skin becomes very easy to see. These two qualities combine to cause dark, under-eye circles.
This condition can become more apparent when your body is challenged. Illness, allergies, loss of sleep, stress, excessive computer use or aging can cause dark circles under the eyes to develop and/or worsen.
Good lifestyle habits, proper hydration, and moisturizing with sweet almond oil can eliminate this problem. Almond oil is filled with healthy fats that protects and moisturizes the skin.
How Does Almond Oil Work To Reduce Dark Circles?
A thin layer of sweet almond oil provides moisture and nourishment. It also helps protect your delicate under-eye skin as well as a multitude of other benefits, such as:
- This healthy oil is a natural anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant agent that works to reduce puffy skin and dark circles under the eyes by keeping the skin nourished and healthy.
- Anti-inflammatory properties of the oil also helps reduce the size of dilated, swollen blood vessels.
- The vitamin K in the oil works to improve clotting agents in the blood. This, in turn, helps reduce under-eye discoloration.
- Delicate skin under the eyes benefits from the mono-unsaturated fats, vitamin E, retinol and palmitic acid found in this nourishing oil.
- This light oil adds moisture to the skin because it absorbs it quickly and easily. It also works to help the skin retain its natural moisture.
It’s Easy To Use Almond Oil For Dark Circles!
The easiest way to use almond oil to combat dark circles is to use it as a makeup remover and use it in place of a moisturizer. To do this, you would simply pour a few drops (half a teaspoonful or so) of the oil into the palm of your hand. Then rub your palms together and massage the oil into your face and around your under eye area very gently. [source]
Let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe any excess oil off with a clean, damp washcloth. Apply a few more drops of the oil around your eyes for extra moisturizing benefits and to address your dark circles.
When you apply almond oil to the thin skin under the eyes, do it lightly. Do not rub or scrub this area because the skin is delicate and fragile. Instead, cleanse the skin gently and then pat the almond oil into place using a fingertip. Be sure to not be heavy handed when you do this because you risk damaging the skin.
While almond oil is a superb skin care product all on its own, you can enhance and add benefits by combining it with carrier oils, such as olive oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil and the like. Adding essential oils and/or other healing products such as honey, aloe or turmeric can also be very beneficial.
12 Beneficial Almond Oil Combinations
#1 – Aloe And Sweet Almond Oil
For a cooling, healing mix, combine aloe gel and almond oil at a ratio of 1:1 (i.e. One teaspoon of almond oil and one teaspoon aloe). Dab it gently around your eyes as a nighttime moisturizer. This light mixture can also be used as a primer before you apply makeup.
#2 – Honey And Sweet Almond Oil
Honey has legendary healing properties. Mix two parts honey with one part almond oil as a nourishing mask. Apply to your whole face or just the area under your eyes 15 or 20 minutes before your shower. Then rinse off thoroughly in the shower.
#3 – Sweet Almond Oil And Lemon Juice
The vitamin C (ascorbic acid) in lemon juice can be very helpful in lightening and evening out your skin tone. Mix one part lemon juice with three parts almond oil for an extra boost in getting rid of dark circles. Apply at night before bedtime.
#4 – Sweet Almond Oil and Milk
The lactic acid in milk acts much like the ascorbic acid in lemon juice. Additionally, milk contains proteins that are beneficial to the skin. You can make a nourishing mask for the under-eye area or your entire face by combining powdered milk with almond oil to create a paste. Spread this paste over your skin and leave it in place for ten or fifteen minutes. Rinse it off with cool water.
#5 – Sweet Almond Oil And Turmeric
Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent. If the skin around your eyes are swollen and puffy, you can add a pinch of powdered turmeric to almond oil for a deep, conditioning treatment. Apply the mixture liberally to the under-eye area. Lay a warm, damp cloth over your eyes and rest for up to 15 minutes. You do not want to leave this mixture on any longer than 15 minutes because the turmeric can stain the skin. Rinse the mixture off with warm water followed by cool water. [source]
#6 – Sweet Almond Oil And Coconut Oil (Or Olive Oil)
Blend coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil and almond oil 50/50 to create a super-rich, nourishing night-time eye cream.
#7 – Sweet Almond Oil And Vitamin E Oil
Add four drops of pure vitamin E oil to a teaspoonful of sweet almond oil. Apply around the eyes and leave it in place for five minutes before rinsing with lukewarm water, followed by cool water.
#8 – Sweet Almond Oil and Castor Oil
If your eyes are puffy, blend one part sweet almond oil and one part castor oil and use this as your overnight eye cream. The Ricinoleic acid and essential fatty acids in the castor oil are powerful anti-inflammatory agents that will help reduce swelling.
#9 – Avocado and Almond Oil Mask
To perk up the skin around your eyes, combine a slice of avocado with 2-4 drops of almond oil. Mash the ingredients together to form a paste. Apply this to the skin beneath your eyes and rest for a few minutes before rinsing off with cool water. Avocado adds more vitamin E and vitamin K to the mixture, along with a healthy dose of vitamin B and essential fatty acids.
#10 – Sweet Almond Oil and Night Jasmine Essential Oil
Rest your tired eyes with Night Jasmine essential oil. Combine a tablespoonful of almond oil with a single drop of Night Jasmine oil. Apply this mixture generously around your tired eyes and massage it in very gently. Be sure to have plenty of oil handy to avoid damaging the delicate skin. Lie back and rest for twenty minutes to thirty minutes with a warm compress over your eyes. Once you get up, rinse your face with cool water and you will feel refreshed!
#11 – Hot and Cold Treatment
After cleansing your face, lay a warm compress over your eyes and rest for five minutes. Follow this up by laying a cold compress over your eyes and resting for five minutes. Moisturize around your eyes with a few drops of pure, sweet almond oil. You can leave the oil in place as an overnight moisturizer or gently use a tissue or cotton ball to blot away excess and go on about your day.
#12 – Eat Almonds!
In addition to helping your skin from the outside-in, almond oil can work from the inside-out. Enjoy a snack of a dozen fresh, raw, unsalted almonds daily to reap the benefits.
Is Sweet Almond Oil Safe?
As with any natural remedy, some people may have negative reactions. Naturally, if you have nut allergies, you should not use home remedies that contain nut oils!
Even if you do not have nut allergies, you should do a patch test by applying a small amount of the almond oil you plan to use to the thin skin of your inner arm to ensure that you do not have a reaction. If there is no reaction in 24 hours, then the product is safe for you to use!
Follow these precautions when using almond oil:
- Do not combine your home remedies with commercial, over-the-counter or prescription remedies.
- Do not overdo it. You do not apply any remedy more often than twice daily.
- Apply the oil carefully and avoid getting oils into your eyes.
- We recommend that you purchase high quality oils and properly store them in a cool, dark area.
- If you are pregnant or nursing a baby, consult with your doctor before using any home remedy.
- Be patient! Natural remedies usually take time. If you do not see any improvement within a couple of weeks, see your healthcare professional.
- Be sure to use sweet almond oil! Bitter almond oil is hard to find but if you do come across it, do not use it!
- Use fresh homemade remedies. Do not make more product than you can use in a few days. If your concoction seems to have gone off a bit, toss it and start over.
- The majority of commercially prepared products for battling dark under-eye circles are filled with chemicals, expensive and not especially effective. Using almond oil and other natural, healthy ingredients is an affordable, natural, safe way to eliminate this problem on your own.
- Almond oil is time-honored in its ability to condition the skin while lightening and evening out skin tone. Refer to the information presented here to eliminate dark circles under the eyes using sweet almond oil.
- Share your thoughts! How have you used almond oil in your daily health and personal care routine?